I Am A Victim Of Local Racism

Greetings. I'm a job seeker from Zamboanga City. I am a graduate of Western Mindanao State University where I finished my Bachelor of Laws.

I applied in ESS Manufacturing Company, Inc. (EMCI) which holds its offices at the 41st, 42nd and 23rd floor of PBCOM Tower, Ayala Avenue, Makati, for the position of Legal researcher/legal indexer

They called me to take their written exam. The next day they called me and they told me that I passed the written exam. Furthermore I have to pass their assessment (I don't have any idea on what's their procedure on this). Later they call me and told me that I passed and I was invited for an interview.

On the day of the interview, I was asked by this interviewer: Where did I take my Bachelor of Laws? I told her: from Western Mindanao State University. She replied: Pardon again. I repeated my answer. Then she blurted: Oh Mindanaooo.. As if there's an expression of awe and surprise. I felt a bit insulted because I sense a negative connotation from the tone of her voice.

And they say that they would call within this week if ever they will decide to hire me.

I know that it is management prerogative to select and hire whom they want to be employed in the company. But as an applicant, we also have a right to be respected. Of our being human, because we have feelings, too. Emotions. We get hurt. We're not automatons or machines.

Also, as emphasis we have the right to be respected of our roots.

I wrote this letter as a preemptive strike if ever I will not be hired because of the word MINDANAO in my resume.

And as always, I will not be ashamed to be called a MINDANAOAN! I am a MINDANAOAN! and I will always be a MINDANAOAN!

People might say that I am overreacting. No, I'm just offended by the way that certain intelligent interviewer uttered the word MINDANAO. As if there's an air of derision and disgust. As if such word MINDANAO will put my application into damnation. Into one of their shredding machines or trash cans.

If they are smart as they think they are, they should have noticed the word MINDANAO in my resume before I was called to take their written exam. Also, why did I pass their assessment? I don't have any clue to how they do it. And later they would dump my application because of the word MINDANAO. They should have had saved me from the expense of going back and forth from my residence in Ermita, Manila to their place. I should not be experiencing asthmatic attacks right now brought by the stress of traveling and city pollution.

This goes to show that these Corporate Indios don't really know how to read. I used the word Indios on these Pathetics because I have Spanish/Mexican blood running in my veins. And I speak a Creole Spanish language called Chavacano. Now, that's throwing their trying hard Racist attitude back at them.

Also, I wrote this letter to warn other Mindanaoans that these trying hard Racist exist. And we as MINDANAOANS should stand up and fight for what we believe is right.

After passing all the requirement, tests, exams,assessments,etc. then Dumping your application in the end because you're a MINDANAOAN is tantamount to Economic Abuse, as defined by law and construed in a liberal and broader context.

This local racism phenomenon must be stopped!

Thank you very much

God bless us all!


Fernan Soria


P.S. This letter is a rough draft and I didn't do some editing or proofreading. I have done this on the spot to capture the essence, emotion and energy of my sentiment as a MINDANAOAN. Please publish this for everyone to know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Country folks begin to build 'dream peace communities'